Bridge – Friday Fictioneers

Friday Fictioneers is hosted by the wonderful Rochelle, the undisputed master of what I call Sound Bite Fiction.
She sets the weekly challenge, the standard, and the prompt photo.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture below, which this week is supplied by the one and only C. E. Ayr.

© C. E. Ayr

Click here to hear the author read his words:

Bridge

I have a rope around my neck.
My hands are tied behind me.
They drag me like a dog onto the bridge.
It’s a solid structure, built of stout timber.
Quite strange, because there isn’t a decent-sized tree for miles.
That’s why they’re going to hang me from the bridge.
It crosses a wide gorge, with a fast-flowing river far below.
I am a big man, over six foot and heavily-built.
Johnson, tugging the rope, is a weakling.
I’m pretty sure he’ll let go.
Fingers crossed.
I bend over the barrier, and lift my feet.
It’s a long way down.

79 Responses to Bridge – Friday Fictioneers

1. Pingback: Plan B – Ms Skyfall

2. Love the cliff-hanger feeling here. A great snapshot of a story.

3. Pingback: Likeness – Becoming Unstuck

4. You create a strong sense of time and place, with the big man at its centre. A compelling tale ceayr.

5. Pingback: Eight | The Diligent Dilettante

6. plaridel says:

his chance of surviving from the fall is unlikely, but you’ll never know.

7. Great writing and building up the suspense. Thanks for donating the picture for this week too.
    -David

8. Pingback: Ghost Hunting – Kelley Farrell

9. I’d say he’s not in a very good position. But, I guess by jumping he has a chance. You always offer an excellen read, CE!

10. draliman says:

Maybe he’ll take Johnson with him…

11. Pingback: Flash Fiction #241 | Archon's Den

12. Pingback: SADIE BECOMES A LADY | Sweet aroma

13. Pingback: Dropped – Friday Fictioneers – Poetry, Short Prose and Walking

14. James McEwan says:

It appears to me he has no choice, but to jump. the question is, will he survive the fall or else break his neck on the way down? There are others to hold and help Johnson, or would it be better to let him fall?

15. Pingback: FF: Forever, Like This – Anne Higa

16. bearmkwa says:

Love it. Talk about high-dive. Hopefully, Johnson is just weak enough to lose the rope.

17. Pingback: Satin Ribbons | Jellico's Writing Nook

18. Pingback: Back to Work (Friday Fictioneers) | Rambles, writing and amusing musings

19. Ominous and tense. I hope he got away. Good one CE, based on your own photo.

20. AshleyDannie says:

I always enjoy your tales. I could see the scene in my mind! Well written!

21. Pingback: My Whole World | Friday Fictioneer – byAshleyDannie

22. Mike says:

You almost gave me vertigo, great writing

23. Pingback: Bootstrap – Living Authors' Society

24. Pingback: The Ties That Bind – Friday Fictioneers | A Dalectable Life

25. Cheating the gallows, nice tale, I hope he makes it. Nicely done sir

26. Pingback: Friday Fictioneers: Ice Aged. – The Ministry of Shrawley Walks

27. jwdwrites says:

He’s a brave man, not giving up hope to the end.

28. Pingback: In Fear And Trembling – eastelmhurst.a.go.go

29. He seems most certainly to be taking it quite well

30. Pingback: Evidence Of Hope | Na'ama Yehuda

31. Pingback: #FF — Mortal Coil – Tao Talk

32. Nobbinmaug says:

Hoping for a Butch & Sundance-style escape or “escape”?

33. Pingback: Friday Fictioneers: Infinite – NobbinBlog

34. You made it sound like a fervent death wis. Nice build up..to what? I, like others, am left hanging, Ceayr.

35. Pingback: Infinity – A story for Friday Fictioneers | writelindy

36. Pingback: neelwrites/flash/ff/100words/02/12/20 – neelwritesblog

37. You are sounding highly strung ‘ole chap!

38. granonine says:

This reminds me of a story I used to teach in American Lit. “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” by Ambrose Bierce. Only in that story, we’re are with the victim as he dies. You, however, have left us. . . .um. . .hanging 🙂

Liked by 2 people

39. Loved the tension (excuse the pun) in this story! I wonder if he’ll survive the fall?

Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

40. Anita says:

I think Johnson won’t attempt & our hero will be safe.
    Long legs and height to the rescue!

41. And he lived to tell the tale. I like the dark humour in it 🙂

42. Pingback: Broken eternity | Just Joyfulness

43. Iain Kelly says:

Love the way you see a river and a rope in the photo, it does have that look of a flowing river. Great stuff – hope he makes it!

44. Tannille says:

And suddenly he wakes up? Great storytelling!

A cliff-hanger of an ending there, CE. Well done.

It’s a long way down if Johnson lets go. You left us hanging. 😉

Shalom,

Rochelle

47. Pingback: 4 December 2020 | Rochelle Wisoff-Fields-Addicted to Purple

48. This… somehow reminds me of Victorian times and I wonder, what has happened to the ‘I’? Why are they tied? Are they alright? Great story, though.

Desperate times and desperate measures

50. Reena Saxena says:

Leaves us on more than a life-saving hook 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )