Boxcar – Friday Fictioneers

Friday Fictioneers is hosted by the wonderful Rochelle, the undisputed master of what I call Sound Bite Fiction.
Today’s photo is by C. E. Ayr (hooray for me!), taken at Coal Harbour, Vancouver BC.
And, for the benefit of Dawn, Alastair and some others with deeply suspicious minds, let me assure you that no Canadian Pacific railway employees were killed during the creation of either the picture or the story.
Nearly.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

© C.E. Ayr

© C.E. Ayr

Click here to hear me read aloud this 60-second story:
Boxcar

The boxcar catches my eye.
It is just one among hundreds, maybe thousands, at the railhead, but I pause, stare.
I am not good with colours, but this is so vibrant that I see it clearly.
It is purple.
I understand immediately it is from another place, another world, another dimension.
I move to slide open the door, but my nerve-damaged arm finds it too heavy.
A gap appears, widens.
A small woman gazes at me.
She smiles, extends her hand.
She links her fingers through mine, and my hand responds.
Then, in 100 words, she teaches me to write.

116 Responses to Boxcar – Friday Fictioneers

1. I too thought of Rochelle. Plus all the deprived who get a second chance through newly attained literacy.
    Nice pic.

2. Very nicely told! 🙂

3. I immediately thought of Rochelle when I read the part of the woman who teaches to write in 100 words. Sweet tribute.

4. mjlstories says:

Very sweet and delightfully true. Power to that poor arm – hope it’s mending.

5. HonieBriggs says:

A love story of a different sort! Hearing you read it truly makes it for me.

6. Dahlia says:

It was delightfully disappointing – bravo!

7. Ashley Danielle says:

Very Enjoyable 🙂

Very cute tale! Hugs

9. Maddie's Mama says:

I loved this… great tribute to a wonderfully dedicated woman.

10. Pingback: Ambitions | MJL Stories

11. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover says:

Add me to the list of people that felt it was a well written tribute to Rochelle.

12. Pingback: Friday Fictioneers – Off The Rails – Honie Briggs

13. Awe, so sweet. I do appreciate the restraint. I kind of like the lady with her head intact.
    Tracey

14. A beautiful and fitting tribute. Absolutely delightful. Oh, and thanks for the picture!

…when I grow up! My tale.

15. rgayer55 says:

I got where this was headed as soon as I saw the word purple. You are so much nicer than me. In one of my early tributes, I had her in an asylum being treated for her addiction to the color.

16. Michael Wynn says:

Nice tribute and you’re right trains, railways, box cars hold so much for the imagination

17. Pingback: Home Alone: Fiction Friday | It's a long story …

18. How lovely that your step away from mayhem was used to pay tribute to our very own fairy blog mother! I won’t expect your sweetness to continue.

19. What a wonderful tribute… I almost guessed that Rochelle had to have her own purple connection. I had hoped the railway was in Scotland…

20. Thank you for the photo and I loved the nod to Rochelle.
    This is my first time visiting your blog and participating in Friday Fictioneers!
    Hope you can visit my blog also as I am newly back into the blogging scene and could use a comment and or follow too 🙂

21. gahlearner says:

There I was expecting bloody murder, and what did we get? A lovely tribute to our purple-addicted Rochelle. That small lady teaches all of us to write.

22. Al says:

I love this tribute to the wonderful Rochelle. Gave me a huge smile.

One thing I want to know though. Is it possible the boxcar materialised on someone killing them when it arrived?

23. Pingback: Friday Fictioneers -One Step | A Mixed Bag

24. liz young says:

Wonderful! I could see that purple and that small woman 🙂

25. What a tribute to the fantabulous lady. Awesome.

Liked by 2 people

26. This is so beautiful! A gentle tribute to our FF leader. How was it writing for your own picture this week?

27. elmowrites says:

Lovely tribute CE. and thank you for the picture this week.

28. michael1148humphris says:

Telling it as it is, lovely

29. I can just imagine Rochelle’s big smile when she was reading this. Very well done. Loved the photography.

Liked by 3 people

30. This gave me chills. Wonderful.

31. James says:

OK, so now I want to know what happens next. Yes, I’m hard to please. 😉

Purple is my favourite colour. Nicely rounded C.E.

33. Iain Kelly says:

Nicely done. When you’re not killing someone off you can write a sweet tale 🙂

34. Lynn Love says:

That’s lovely, C. Stepping inside a world of purple … Love it. Very sweet tribute

Now THAT is a fabulous tribute! Well done, sir, well done! And deservedly so, Ms Purple… no blushing necessary!

Such a beautiful gesture – and very nicely done. Great photo by the way.

Well done!
    A fine tribute indeed.

38. Wonderful. Cheers to Rochelle!

39. k rawson says:

Delightful story and the picture is marvelous too.

40. Matthew Burgos says:

I breathe the fine ending. Well-done!

41. jellico84 says:

Awwww, that is so sweet! Love it! 🙂 ❤

42. I love it 🙂 The discipline and challenge of coming up with 100-word stories does improve writing, so the lady who provides this opportunity definitely deserves the tribute.

43. I think you know how to write, but the lady does teach us to be brief! Lovely photo this week.

44. Mrs.DAsh says:

Such a lovely read

45. wmqcolby says:

Sweet, sweet, sweet! Bravo, C.E.

Liked by 2 people

46. Dear C.E.

I don’t think the lady in the boxcar had to teach you to write. 😉 She is blushing in her purple boxcar and says, “Thank you for such a lovely story in her honour.”

Shalom,

Rochelle

Liked by 2 people

What a lovely tribute!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )