Magic Competition – Sunday Photo Fiction

This week’s somewhat sinister looking object makes me think somewhat sinister thoughts.
So I write a somewhat sinister story.
Or do I?
Click on this linkย to enter your tale, and to see what others have written.

Click here to hear me read the story aloud:
Magic Competition

I am a magician.
Actually, to be more honest, I am a sorcerer.
So I can do magic, just much, much more effectively than any of these showmen and impostors.
I hear about the Great Magic Competition, sponsored by the royal court.
I decide to win it.
Not, I have to say, for the honour and glory.
I have no need of that.
And not for the Silver Chalice.
No, that reminds me too much of my mother-in-law.
But I will win it for the real prize, one thousand gold pieces.
The judge is to be the Royal Buffoon himself, our crown prince.
Who, I have to tell you, knows nothing about the arts of illusion and deception.
He would not recognise a Magic Dragon if it bit him on the bum.
I watch the other competitors saw women in half, make pretty assistants disappear, levitate.
All the usual tomfoolery.
I step forward.
Will I just take the prize now, I ask, avoid any unpleasantness?
They all start to laugh.
I wave my wand.
They stop abruptly.
I stroll across, lift the prizes.
No one moves.
No one speaks.
I amble off home.
A little Paralysis Spell is just magic.

A Scot who has discovered Paradise in a small town he calls Medville on the Cรดte d'Azur, C.E. Ayr has spent a large part of his life in the West of Scotland and a large part elsewhere. His first job was selling programmes at his local football club and he has since tried 73 other career paths, the longest being in IT, with varying degrees of success. He is somewhat nomadic, fairly irresponsible and, according to his darling daughter, a bit random.

38 Responses to Magic Competition – Sunday Photo Fiction

Cheater! But maybe they didn’t specify magic tricks vs magic itself…
    Funny.,.. the chalice makes me think of MY mother-in-law… hmmm ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. I hope they weren’t aware as well or someone will be around to reclaim the loot. Funny story and well written, C.E. ๐Ÿ˜€ — Suzanne

3. “No, that reminds me too much of my mother-in-law” HARSH!!!
    This one was hilarious. Well done ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Jade M. Wong says:

Ha! A paralysis spell, very clever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Reblogged this on Kate McClelland and commented:
    Hahahaha!

6. I can almost envision him taking the prize home, piling it all on top of a table already overflowing with other ‘wins’, pouring himself a good dram of something mildly toxic and laughing silently to himself as he enjoys the drink.

-Lisa

7. James says:

Real magic but it still feels like cheating.

I like the humour in this, All he had to do was freeze or paralyze everyone with a little spell and the prize was his to take. Easy peasy. Have a great week CE ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Joy Pixley says:

Ah, good point: a real sorcerer could wipe the floor with all these charlatan prestidigitators! And yet, the next day they would all be bending over backwards trying to explain how the “trick” was done.

Count me in for another vote for the mother-in-law line.

At least no blood was shed. Although I did shed a few tears while laughing. A little mirth on a grey winter’s day goes a long way.

Shalom,

Rochelle

11. Quite magickal, indeed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Great take and excellent pacing as usual C.E. Another amusing story too

13. Dahlia says:

Erm…ungh!. The Paralysis Spell works via the internet as well…

14. I love it. It made me laugh. I wonder if they were able to see him as walked over to take the money. Brilliant.

15. Hemangini says:

Witty and wonderful poem.. I second Lain Kelly, mother-in-law part is funniest. Love the cup so much.

I was expecting treachery but not that.
    The magic dragon was the right pitch for this mid-evil tale.
    A good read all through.

17. Iain Kelly says:

Magical take. ‘Mother-in-law’ made me laugh in particular.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )