Rain Drain – Sunday Photo Fiction

This week’s fascinating photo makes me think of springtime in Scotland, April showers, paddling feet in fresh water streams.
And things.
Click on this link to enter your tale, and to see what others have written.

Rain Drain

The drainage pipes are at an awkward height.
And no water comes through them.
My friend is concerned that her garden wall is in danger of collapse.
Because her house is on the hillside, the lane is maybe eight feet below the level of the garden.
The outlets, about four feet above ground level, are designed to allow the water that drains through the earth to exit into the channel that runs along the side of the narrow alley.
I decide to check if they are clogged.
I arm myself with a hammer and a long steel rod from her cluttered garage.
I thrust the rod into the first opening, find it blocked.
I prod a bit, do not understand what I feel.
Whatever it is yields a little, but no more than a couple of inches.
I bend, peer in.
A rat hurtles out, attaches itself to my left eyelid.
I crash backwards onto the ground as hordes of them pour from the hole, perhaps scenting blood.
My blood.
I am in trouble here.

10 Responses to Rain Drain – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. MythRider says:

Aaa. It was so nice to know you. Will miss you greatly.
    I promise to avenge your death. Cats are on the way.

2. Donna says:

Yup that does not sound good.

3. Yikes, on the losing end there.

Oh, how horrible eaten by hungry rats. You had me in your grip the entire time I was reading your story and working to those last few ugly lines. It reminds me of a way a serial killer killed a guy in a Denzel Washington/Angalena Jolie movie called ‘The Bone Collector.” Not to mention, in ‘The Lost World’ the second movie in the Jurassic Park movies, these scavenging little dinosaurs who were very small and acted much like these rats. Ick! Well done Caeyr!

I wouldn’t like that .. at all. Yucky!

6. The Voice says:

Oh Rats! I hate when that happens. There may be cause for some concern here.🙂 Pretty creepy tail… errr… tale, C.E.

7. maryruth16 says:

Yuck. My worst fear!! Great story – a little unsettling!

That was one of the most disturbing things I’ve read from you. Rats??!!! I’ll take my recent accident over those creatures. Well done as always.

9. Steve Lakey says:

There may be a dead body, here. Just not the one I was expecting! Excellent.

10. I fear things may have just gone awry. I was expecting a body, and once again you surprise us. Great story my friend.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )