Heaven on Earth – Sunday Photo Fiction

This week’s photo, an absolute masterpiece, immediately made me think of Thor, Norse God of Thunder and Lightning.
Then this story, quite unrelated, emerged.

Heaven on Earth

I sit at my favourite table outside the little café in the square.
It is around 7 pm, I know I cannot be asleep.
But I also know I must be dreaming.
Walking towards me, past the children’s carousel, is my ex-wife.
That is surprising enough.
But what makes it totally incredible is her appearance.
She is as slim and beautiful as she was when she was 30, around 30 years ago.
I have not seen her for many years, but we were married a long time.
I am not mistaken.
She smiles, pulls out a chair, sits and crosses those legs.
Relax, she says, for now at least.
It is me, but of course it isn’t.
I died last night, thought I’d pay you a visit.
You see, where I am going I get a bonus.
For raising our children and for putting up with you all those years.
Her smile is wider now.
I know so much about you, all your deepest fears.
And I know where you will go when you die!
She laughs.
My bonus?
I get to kill you however and whenever I like.

21 Responses to Heaven on Earth – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. rogershipp says:

Her retribution seems as if the ‘where’ she is going will not be a rose petals and champagne? No all ‘spirits from beyond’ keep their promises….

2. afairymind says:

He must have been a dreadful husband! Great story.🙂

Wow, down right scary last line. Makes anyone not married or going through divorce afraid. Will your ex-spouse hate you this much when they die, that they get to kill you anyway and whenever they like? He must have been a bad husband? Or she was a bad wife? Maybe both?!

4. Steve Lakey says:

Dark and mysterious as ever, with a cunning twist. I hope he deserves his fate!

5. Joy Pixley says:

Wow, that one turned dark! I loved the line “crosses those legs.” Oh, those legs…

6. The Voice says:

This does seem to be the desire of many an ex-spouse. It sounds like sooner or later the protagonist will rest in pieces. Nice story twist.

Nice twists and turns!

8. haha tables turned on this one. Great story as usual. I wonder which way she is going, and whether he has been the good guy or the bad one.

I have added your link to the froggy🙂

That’s one disturbing dream. Great story construction. One of your best.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )