The Snowman – Sunday Photo Fiction

This week’s seasonal offering makes me think of my homeland, cold and dark, 1,250 miles to the north.
I prefer to stretch my imagination in today’s brilliant sunshine on the Côte d’Azur.

The Snowman

It is pretty cool being a snowman.
I have a great nose, a big carrot.
I have eyes of coal, and a row of pebbles for a mouth.
They are arranged to give me a smile, which is good, because I am happy.
I wear a silly hat and a football scarf.
Barcelona, it says, which is strange since I am in Scotland.
Go figure.
The children made me, and they love me.
The little girl hugs me each night before she goes to bed, and every morning when she wakens.
That is the down side.
I am starting to melt.
She is inconsolable.
She begs me to stay but, of course, I cannot.
I am sad to leave her too.
And I cannot tell her the truth.
I am turning to water.
For me the adventure is just beginning.

34 Responses to The Snowman – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. A fun melancholy story. At first I was sad but you have left me with a slight smile on my face.

2. rogershipp says:

“For me the adventure is just beginning.” Loved the last line. A great idea for the prompt!

3. Don’t know why she’s crying, if she hadn’t hugged him every night, her warmth wouldn’t have killed him haha

Seriously though, this is a sweet story. A change from the murder and mayhem. Great write, Ceayr.

4. nonnaci says:

Loved how it reflects the transient natures of both joy and sorrow. Keep up the good work!

5. luckyjc007 says:

A very delightful poem! Reminds me of real life…. He serves his purpose being there, then moves on to another adventure in his life.

6. A story told in a lighthearted manner yet filled with longing. Great write!

7. Bastet says:

I love your story .. and yes, the adventure would just be beginning. A last hug for a snow man .. ciao!

From frozen to free flowing(or dripping)! Everyday is an adventure for a snowman with a heart. Sweet story as I read it.

Very interesting viewpoint to write from. I like how being water opens up new possibilities for the snowman.

10. JS Brand says:

A touching story, sad and uplifting at the same time. Plus, you’ve shown you can be soft and cuddly (I think).

Graham really liked your story and so did I. I loved the thaw at the end. New beginnings.

12. k rawson says:

Wry and sweet with much more to it than one expects from a jolly snowman. Nicely done.

13. I hope wherever he goes will be a great adventure, it is a shame he has to leave the girl behind though

Such a delightful story from a dismal photo. I like the snowman’s adventurous attitude. Who knows? He might soon be ice.😉 but not if he’s flowing to Cote d’Azur. Imaginative and thoughtful. I do feel a twinge for the little girl.

• ceayr says:

Thank you, m’lady, glad you enjoyed.
      Maybe the story is an allegory for life in the frozen north, and those who escape but not without the inevitable heartache.

15. Steve Lakey says:

The last line gives the story a new dimension!