The Cat – Six Sentence Story

Artwork by Carolina Sartor
Artwork by Carolina Sartor

This challenge is produced by GirlieOnTheEdge with the following simple rules:
Write 6 Sentences. No more. No less.
Use the current week’s prompt word – METER or METRE*

Click here to hear the author read his words:

The Cat

He saunters, sleek, plump and unconcerned, through the filthy streets, indifferent to the resentful scowls from mangy moggies and ragged urchins alike.

He is known, of course, and no one dare touch him, the most envied cat, the most hated creature, in this dilapidated city.

When a scrawny cur emerges from his home under a pile of junk and moves to attack eager watchers hold their collective breath in anticipation.

The cat barely breaks stride, but his tail stands straight, a full metre* high, every hair of his glossy coat quivers tall, his claws extend and he spits fury.

As the dog slinks back into his hole the cat continues, unmoved, to his place of work.

There his soft fur is stroked and caressed, and his delicate tongue cleans the excess fluid from the breasts of the wealthy young mothers in the maternity hospital.

*How those of us who are non-colonials spell this week’s prompt word

This entry was posted in Sound Bite Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The Cat – Six Sentence Story

1. Liz H says:

Because a cat always finds opportunity in the strangest of needs! Clever wordplay concludes in an…uncomfortable image. But fully in keeping with the story…because see my first sentence.
    Love the cat’s image included here. Go Carolina!

2. Bridgette says:

What an imaginative and creative little tale! I really enjoyed it.

3. Nipple Lickin’ Good – I can’t believe I just said that!

4. No dog dares withstand this one.

5. coalblack says:

Even felines must work, it seems, and nice work if you can get it especially for a tom. I don’t know what mangy moggies are but I loved the phrase.

–Shay/Fireblossom in WP clothing

6. clark says:

(scuse me c, Len! Dude! Way to rock the nostalgia of us Readers!)

ceayr, nice clean, concise and engaging Six.

7. UP says:

great use of the cue. imaginative

8. Non-colonials. Gotta love it! 😼

9. Spira says:

“Learn the rules and then break them to smithereens “…always enjoying watching/reading that.
    Nicely done.

10. I fear you have been mushroom gathering in the French woods and partaken of a particularly interesting variety. Either that or … no, let’s not go there. 😉

11. Frank Hubeny says:

Interesting job at the maternity hospital.

12. jenne49 says:

A beautifully written and richly described tale that is at the same time deeply disturbing.
    It has left me pondering, a truly compelling piece of writing.
    And the picture of the cat is just splendid, as is the reading.

13. I still remember ‘Top Cat’ TV cartoon from my youth. He’s the indisputable leader. Charming story.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )