Luxembourg – Sunday Photo Fiction

The idea is to write a short story (200 word max) inspired by what you see in the picture (below).
This week’s prompt comes from the
man himself, and took me on a long and rambling trip down Memory Lane.
Be relieved that there is a word limit here!

Click on this link to enter your tale, and to see what others have written.

© Al Forbes

Click here to hear the author read his words:

Luxembourg

‘Driving to France, aren’t you?’ asks Nick.
Nick is my boss.
‘Yep, in two weeks, for that well-deserved break.’
‘Could you go via Kaufbeuren?’
So, later, I explain to my long-suffering wife that we are making a small detour via Germany en route to the Mediterranean.
On expenses.
‘Will the hotel have a pool?’ she asks pragmatically.
I drive a Vauxhall Viva, which is perhaps one generation more sophisticated than Fred Flintstone’s car.
I now gloss over the horrors of the five hundred mile trip to Dover – Hi, Al! – culminating in a Channel crossing in what a hysterical English lady describes, shrieking, as a ‘bloody Belgian tub’.
I do not mention my illegal smuggling of computer equipment through Ostend Customs at midnight, or our attempts to find a place to sleep there.
The next day we stop in Luxembourg, in an underground car park.
After lunch and a spot of sightseeing, the Viva decides enough is enough.
It belches smoke, and refuses, despite valiant efforts, to mount the exit ramp.
We find a garage and hire a car.
‘Can you give mine a quick check over?’ I ask, exchanging keys.
‘Where is it, sir?’
‘In the car park.’

This entry was posted in Sound Bite Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Luxembourg – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. athling2001 says:

Not a good vacation, but that is what your get, maybe, for breaking the law and being so darn dense to not realize what is happening.

• ceayr says:

There is actually an extended story which somewhat excuses the smuggling part.
      And darn dense?
      I don’t claim to be too bright, but why in this case?

2. You’ve surely lived in some interesting times Sir! And yes, just like Iain, waiting for the Ostend story eagerly now 🙂

• ceayr says:

I can’t deny I have had the occasional adventure, sir.
      6 years ago I published a slightly tongue-in-cheek post on a different blog platform entitled ’50 things I have done in my life’.
      It included: 46. Abandoned a car in a Luxemburg car-park

Liked by 2 people

3. Superb tale peppered with little hand me downs. I so love your style, CR.

4. prior.. says:

love many things here – the car talk and smuggling – lol
    . – but oh my goodness is this something I have asked countless times,
    “does the hotel have a pool?”

5. They don’t build cars like they used to – thankfully! I hope that woman isn’t on the ferry next time I pop across La Manche for lunch!

6. willow88switches says:

and so some things die, even if only temporarily, only to avoid the sticky end – but at the least, memories can still be called up, like a good friend, – and if anything, reshaped or allowed to breathe in a reincarnation of a story brought to life 🙂

I loved the idea of an hysterical English woman shrieking bloody murder crossing the channel, in a Belgium bathtub” …. brilliant! LOL – sorry, perhaps traumatic, but amusing none the less.

Cheers C.E.

7. Iain Kelly says:

Is there still a Viva in a car work in Luxembourg, or did it make it to the south of France with you in the end? Lovely little glimpse into your memories.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w