Punch Line – Sunday Photo Fiction

The idea is to write a short story (200 word max) inspired by what you see in the picture (below).
This week’s prompt comes from the delightful Jade Wong. I confess that all I saw was the bow tie.
Click on this link to enter your tale, and to see what others have written.

© Jade Wong

Click here to hear the author read his words:

Punch Line

So this penguin walks into a bar.
Have you seen my brother, he asks the bartender.
And the bartender says What does he look like?

Stony silence.
I am dying up here.
I’ll be honest, it’s not the first time my act has fallen flat.
But it could be the last.
Johnny E is not a man to mess with.
It’s my old mum’s eightieth birthday, he says, if she doesn’t have fun you will pay.
Apparently she does have a sense of humour.
They say she laughed for a week when she saw her husband’s car blow up.
But she doesn’t like my jokes.
She doesn’t like my singing.
She made a very unladylike comment when I did my magic act.
I am pretty sure the rabbit would not have enjoyed that.
Johnny looks unhappy.
I am getting desperate.
I nod to Emmy, my lovely assistant.
She raises an eyebrow.
I shrug.
Nothing to lose.
She opens the box, lifts out a large wet fish.
Swings it, smacks me right in the face.
And the old witch d
issolves in laughter.

20 Responses to Punch Line – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. athling2001 says:

Great take on the prompt. Poor guy, but at least he got a laugh.

Well, he got her to laugh, that’s something. A fish ugg… I can smell it from here & I hate that smell. Interesting one for sure. Hugs CE 🙂

3. Desperate times making an urgent call to desperate measures.

4. mhmp77 says:

kaykuala

Swings it, smacks me right in the face.
    And the old witch dissolves in laughter.

Quite a reaction in response to a joke. A great twist at the end, rightly a punch-line to bring a finality to the humor!

Hank

5. rogershipp says:

“The sullen old crone stares at me as though a poodle had deposited me on the Persian rug.” A great line!

6. Lavanya says:

Funny, clever and slapstick…. all in one brilliant piece.

7. James says:

So she likes slapstick.

8. Anna Rymer says:

Ha ha… nice one 🙂 So well written as always and a great punch line – well more of a slap really 😃

9. Absolutely brilliant. How you came up with that I can’t imagine but I’m sure pleased you did!

10. Iain Kelly says:

Exceptionally funny, brilliant stuff – and a hint of Monty Python in the end, which is no bad thing if you need to make someone laugh.

God you’re funny!!!
    I’m still laughing…
    Penguins and snowman go together like tuxedo and bowties. Clever jump there C.E, I almost missed it 😉

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )