I am a Rock – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s
spectacular photo is by Lucy Fridkin, who apparently has been a friend of Lady R for over a century.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

© Lucy Fridkin

© Lucy Fridkin

Click here to hear me read this one-minute story:

I am a rock

You can’t do this, she says.
Do what, I ask, although I know.
Go through life as though you’re a wretched Paul Simon song, her voice rises.
What do you mean, I ask, enjoying her aggravation.
She is my best friend, but we have very different philosophies of life.
You are not a flipping rock, she snaps, or a flipping island.
She does not say flipping.
I’m whatever I choose to be, I say, I live my life my own way, hurt no one.
She growls, marches off.
And a rock feels no pain.
And an island never cries
Yeah, right.

69 Responses to I am a Rock – Friday Fictioneers

1. Loved it very much.

2. Dahlia says:

Finally a glimpse of the softie 😀 Very nicely done 🙂

3. Margaret says:

Lovely story. Wonderful dialogue.I like how you’ve used the song – it’s a great song. I think we all retreat into our little islands from time to time; perhaps the secret is in knowing how long we need to stay there.

4. gahlearner says:

I think this is my favourite among your stories (that I’ve read). Emotion, denied, bubbles under the surface and can’t get out. It’s difficult for people who love the rocks to deal with the apparent coldness. The last sentence is gut-wrenching.

5. This is such a lovely piece of writing. Very clever and very emotive.

6. I enjoyed the depiction of pride and independence your narrrator showed, but then the loneliness and pain kept secret. I think many could relate to this. well done

7. IF I must have a song stuck in my head, this is a good one to be stuck with CE! This is one of my favorite things you’ve written. Wonderful pacing; gorgeous phrasing, and it works perfectly with the analogy. Love it!

8. The song played in my background from the moment i read the title.
    Very enjoyable.

9. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover says:

Absolutely loved this. The tension, the denial and the hurt. Great line about being a Paul Simon song.

10. Again, a great reading by you. I always enjoy reading the story and then listening to it.
    Thank you for adding the audio, CE. 😉
    I enjoyed the dialog. Couples can have differences and, yet, be harminious.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Isadora 😎

11. I hear the defense mechanism working!

12. I kind of guessed she didn’t say “flippin”. Good tension between the two in this story, C.E. I could see her storming off. Good writing. 🙂 — Suzanne

13. rgayer55 says:

CE,
    I was hoping the find the body of the blind girl from Kent’s story. The one who was supposed to show up for a date with John (isn’t that the name they all use?). I expected to find her rotting carcass here. What have you done with her?

14. jellico84 says:

Love the take on the song, and the way you incorporated the lyrics. Love the song’s flow of sound and lyric together, though islands are pretty lonely places. the song depicts that well.

Great construction, can’t help enjoying the song as I enjoy the story.

16. I could have read pages and pages of this! Really enjoyed it.

17. liz young says:

I like the line ‘ she does not say flipping’ 🙂 Good story and believable dialogue.

18. Michael Wynn says:

Well captured exchange, I particularly like his enjoyment of her aggravation.

19. Right, like getting blood, or tears, out of a stone.
    Well done bittersweet tale.

20. Ah. what a perfect melancholy… you can just imagine a rock can feel.

21. Bitter sweet. I have know people who stand alone. Some even like the loneliness.
    I really liked this piece.
    Tracey

22. This is a marvelous piece! Great writing, lots to think about here.

23. Lynn Love says:

Sweet and poignant, C. I like the intimate feel to this, the feeling that your character can’t help but behave the way he does, even though it hurts him and does him no good at all. Sad, but easy to see how someone becomes like this. A really strong story

24. Iain Kelly says:

‘She does not say flipping’ – I can imagine. Nice story.

25. Rowena says:

Dear CE,
    There’s so much packed into your 100 words. Well done. There’s a real sense of inner mystery there with two people trying to nut out the intricacies of intimacy and solitude.
    xx Rowena

26. dmmacilroy says:

Dear CE,

This was a perfectly constructed story, short by design, sweetly written and so to the point. Very well done, sir.

Yours,

Doug

27. Al says:

Great story Mr C. I love his attitude lol

I admire the way you give us a sense of fullness with so few words, including the luxury of repetitions and comments

I had this selfsame conversation with a friend not too long ago. The construction and wording of this piece is pitch perfect. Love the song, love the story, although it hurts a place deep inside. “I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pain. It’s laughter and it’s loving I disdain.” Really?

As for Lucy being a friend…only half a century. 😉

Shalom,

Rochelle

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )