The Writer – Sunday Photo Fiction

Today’s photo takes me back many years to my hippy youth.
Robert Heinlein wrote one of the great books that inspired my generation.
Stranger in a Strange Land remains a masterpiece, and a favourite.
My story has nothing to do with it.

Click here to hear me read my story:
The Writer

I have always been a writer.
I think I was not bad.
I could construct a plot, build good characters, tell a story.
But there was always something missing.
I was happy enough, married, with great children and a well-paid job.
But I wanted to write.
So when the Devil offered me a deal I jumped at it.
He guaranteed writing success.
Best sellers, fame, wealth, critical acclaim.
Up there with Grisham and company.
He just wanted a loan of my soul for a few years.
And I would get the darkness, the insight.
That was three years ago.
My first book, a gangland thriller, is top of the lists world-wide.
Translated into twenty-odd languages.
Crazy money movie offers.
Enormous advances on my next three books, already drafted.
And what has it cost me?
Well, my wife, who left me.
My kids, who hate me.
And, after the visit from those very nasty guys recently, the use of my legs.
They said I ‘grassed up’ their brother.
They cut off my hands.
Cut out my tongue.

14 Responses to The Writer – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. Indira says:

Was it a good bargain? Very well written.

2. Watch out for the devil he’s a trickster at your expense. This was quite dark and disturbing. Good writing, though as usual.🙂 — Suzanne.

Better to stay an unknown writing for a hobby I think. Gruesome one CE. A bit to visual and morbid for my tastes. But you are talented at this. I’m afraid of giving other people ideas.

4. I think I’ll stick to writing fairy stories! Far safer.

…about my very first book!

5. trishsplace says:

Heavy! and Great! Wow, I loved this piece.
    Wish I could write like that! Cheers, Trish

6. misskzebra says:

Very dark for a Sunday evening, but I enjoyed it. I think the particular voice of the narrator (if that makes sense), is very consistently and cleanly done, and adds a lot to the story.

7. “what price fame”
    I can’t write but my soul remains intact, I think.

8. Chilling! Fame can be expensive. Be careful what you wish for!

9. The devil is in the details they say. Pity he did not have all the details of his deal beforehand.

10. Lynn Love says:

That’s the problem with the Devil, he never quite makes clear the terms and conditions – always read the small print. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be Grisham or Paterson – just successful enough to be able to call myself writer, even if part time. Another bone chilling tale, you master of the evil twist🙂

11. Iain Kelly says:

The question is how much would any of us pay to get the same acclaim? Not as much as this I suspect! Nice one.

A heavy price to pay! Must agree about Stranger in a strange land. One of my all time favourite books.

13. Dear CE, my water brother friend.

He paid quite a price for fame and fortune. Well constructed story of one soul’s destruction.

14. Wow. That was some payment. He got what he wanted though. Good story. I loved that little blurb at the beginning.

I still haven’t started reading the Heinlein book yet. So many others to read.