Back Streets – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s photo by Jan Marler Morrill is another in the summer rerun series, from long before my time here.
So I am taking this opportuny for a rerun of my own by using a story from Medville Matters, my enthralling and recently published book of Sound Bite Fiction, available on this blog, just over there>>>>>>

For those of you not plugging books, the idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

© Jan Marler Morrill

© Jan Marler Morrill

Click on this to hear C.E. Ayr read from his first book of Sound Bite Fiction entitled Medville Matters.

Back Streets

These back streets are dangerous places for the unwary.
Her heels click rhythmically as she hurries through the seedier side of her city.
She is suddenly aware that she is being followed.
Her pursuer is closing rapidly.
She knows there have been a series of vicious attacks on women in the area.
She cannot run in this tight skirt.
She stops, backs against a wall.
He leers knowingly, reaches for her blouse.
He doesn’t even see her NAA Guardian pistol before the bullet passes through his left eye into his brain.
These back streets are dangerous places for the unwary.

65 Responses to Back Streets – Friday Fictioneers

1. Good thriller scene with a description that draws the reader in, C.E. That’s the end of that. Brutes beware. I wish you success with your book. 🙂 — Suzanne

2. Margaret says:

Another good one. Great tension and a most satisfying turnaround at the end.

3. Tense scene, neat twist, and great use of repetition. Good work CE

4. I love it when the woman gives it to her assailant! I think my mom would tell her, “Good job”. One of my novel ideas includes a scene in which a would-be honor killing victim fights off her assailant.

5. Miles Rost says:

The turnaround at the end is quite unexpected, and incredibly well played. Seriously! This is an excellent piece of work, C.E. Keep it up. ^_^

6. Jan Brown says:

I love the rhythm, the tension, and the closing in ironic harmony with the first line. Well done!

7. gahlearner says:

Such a brilliant misdirection. Didn’t see it coming. And I loved to hear you read.

• ceayr says:

Thank you, how very very kind of you.
      I am glad you liked the story, but that is almost incidental!
      You can hear another reading if you click on Current Story, above.

8. Wonderful CE and I loved hearing you read this piece. Turnabout as they say is fair play.

I enjoyed this CE. I like how the woman, the NAA officer was the dangerous one in the alley, more dangerous than the guy stalking her. A flip of your stories which often are from the criminals point of view. Well written. 🎈

10. mjlstories says:

I loved hearing this – a whole new perspective to Friday Fiction!
    The repetition works particularly well when listening.
    My library has a monthly spoken word slot and I dared myself to read three of my Friday Fiction pieces recently – it was actually great fun and started me thinking about what works orally and what doesn’t.

• ceayr says:

Thank you, Miranda, I am happy that this worked for you.
      I confess that I find reading my stories very challenging, although a recent public reading in two languages (English and French) with my friend and agent Emmy L Gant was pretty successful.
      And as I say elsewhere below, my alter ego reads one of his poems every Saturday:
      I think that poetry works better orally, but what do I know?

11. He didn’t see that coming! Actually, nor did I. Nice one.

My hair-raising tale

12. wmqcolby says:

Attaboy, C.E.! She scragged him GOOD. Those streets are rough. Oh, and a swell recording of your voice. Always fun to hear an author read his own work. I’m hoping a lot of us can do that for FF. It’s worth a try.

Great story, stay well!

• ceayr says:

Yee hah (or whatever is the correct response to ‘Attaboy’) WMQ.
      The reading accessed via a QR code was an idea I came up with to promote the book (available here, if you haven’t yet noticed!)
      There is another under Current Story up top there, and my alter ego reads a poem every week on his Saturday Sob spot.
      Glad it worked for you, regardless.

13. That was wild little ride.
    Tracey

14. I like your voice, and I like the calmness of it while the violent narrative unfolds.
    Great twist at the end!

Nice to hear you! To hear you, nice! This is sooo you! And I loved the repetition. Well done with the book.

16. In the end, he is the one who is surprised!

17. Delightful twist.

18. I echo the comment about the first line repeating at the end. So effective! This was a great story.

19. Brilliant story.

20. I love repeating lines. it works wonderfully, adding such a strong feeling.

21. Ha.. I guess that in the end you don’t really know who is the victim or if the the prey will turn a carnivore… Great to hear you read.

22. Such a great surprise at the end. And I love the idea of hearing you read it – it added a whole different experience (a good one) to the reading. Would you mind if I pinched the idea for my next Friday Fictioneers?

• ceayr says:

I would be honoured and delighted if you use the idea, Claire.
      I have a QR code on my book (available on this site!) which takes you directly to Current Story above, where I read another short tale.
      Glad you enjoyed the story too.

I love this one. And I love to hear you read it. One of your best so I’m glad the punishment fit the crime. 😉

Shalom,

Rochelle

You are a master of surprises indeed! I enjoyed this one.

A nice switchabout at the end

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )