Hero – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s superb photo is, much to my surprise, by me.
I remember a fabulous trip to a fabulous city.
And I remember fabulous people.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

Copyright C. E. Ayr

Copyright C. E. Ayr

Times change.
The floodlights still illuminate the night sky.
The crowd still roars as once it roared for me.
But no more.
The sound echoes across the water to where I sit, feet wet, in my little boat.
I think back to the good times when I was the city’s hero.
When everyone loved me.
When she loved me.
As the dampness reaches my knees I recall faces smiling, doors opening.
And I remember the mistakes that were made.
Followed by scowls, and impassable barriers.
And she said goodbye.
The lights go out abruptly.
The darkness closes over my head.

25 Responses to Hero – Friday Fictioneers

1. That was a heartbreaking story, beautifully rendered. It made me sad. Now, methinks, I shall go and cry.

2. Thanks for the beautiful picture, C.E. That’s a great story showing the symptoms of deep depression leading to suicide. Great descriptions. You made us feel we were there with him.— Suzanne

3. luckyjc007 says:

How quickly life can change on you….hero one day…disgraced the next. Reminds me of “I know what you did for me before, but what have you done for me lately!”

4. ansumani says:

One slip is all it takes to bring one down from fame and glory. Nicely done.

5. athling2001 says:

Powerful and sadly true in this world today. Great story and image.

6. Jan Brown says:

You described so well the impact of one great political or social blunder on the life of a successful man. The ending is powerful.

Thank you for the photo this week! It has prompted so many lovely stories.

7. He literally got that sinking feeling. From happiness to despair. How moving.

Visit Keith’s Ramblings

8. draliman says:

Very sad. I guess he couldn’t move on after the good times ended.
    I’d love to know which city that is!

9. Pingback: So Sensitive | It's a long story …

10. plaridel says:

a well-crafted sad story. i felt the tension building from beginning to end.

11. Powerful and sad. Well done. Thanks for sharing this picture with us!

12. I love the way this builds. Very well done.

13. gahlearner says:

Very sad. He must have made huge mistakes for being condemned so harshly.

14. mickwynn2013 says:

Poor bloke that it’s come to that. Nicely told

Oh so well done, Mr. Ayr… Once again. I felt the elation and the dejection…

Oh such a sad ending. I agree with Snow’s Fissures, ” A lifetime in 100 words.” done so eloquently. I wish in the end people had been more empathetic to him, that he still had his lady, to light up his life. Hope you are doing well in your recovery.

17. It’s a beautiful photo, as is your story.

18. MIKE says:

I guess he has pulled the plug? a life story and a great photo. Thanks

19. Wonderfully composed! I felt myself sinking with your story!

20. wmqcolby says:

Very sad. Well-told, too.
    Thanks for your picture, C.E. It’s a really nice one.
    Be well! 🙂

Wonderfully rendered words of longing and despair. My heart sank with him. Well done.

22. d3athlily says:

Wow. I could feel the longing and despair in every line. The final image will stick with me for a long time. Well done!

23. A lifetime in 100 words. Nicely done! Thank you for a very inspiring image.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )