The Body – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s photo by Douglas M. MacIlroy is a rerun from a time Before Adam, when it inspired the following little tale.
Which subsequently found its way into my sensational book, Medville Matters, the first ever collection of Sound Bite Fiction, available for purchase on this page now!
It also, somewhat bizarrely, features my old friend Al Forbes, who hosts a great 200-word photo fiction challenge every Sunday.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

© Douglas M. MacIlroy

© Douglas M. MacIlroy

The Body

There is a body in the corner.
A girl, with what looks like a broken neck.
Forbes’ trademark style.
I can’t help her, so I ignore her.
I hear Forbes’ voice through the door to the living area.
Sounds like he is organising the clean up of this latest tantrum.
I push the door open, softly, slowly.
The phone goes down.
I pause.
Then hear the clink of glass.
He is preparing a drink.
No surprise there.
Johnny Walker on ice, I know.
I push the door open.
He turns, surprised.
I shoot him, twice.
That is my job.

55 Responses to The Body – Friday Fictioneers

1. Margaret says:

I like it when murderers are disposed of like that – fast and clean. Terrific story.

2. Very Bogart! Very cool. I feel like I’ve seen a whole movie.

3. This was great. Very noir. Reminded me of the narration in Sin City. Loved the last line.

4. Good story, C.E. I could see someone like Humphrey Bogart walking out of that room. I love old film noir and the pulp fiction novels that gave it life. Well written.🙂 — Suzanne

5. Lovely. Very Pulp Fiction.

6. That was quite the twist at the end. (The first time around for this prompt was before my time.)

7. rgayer55 says:

Geez, CE, I hope you let him finish his drink first.

8. Very dark. Well-described. The narrator’s voice is coldly calm and measured. He knows what he’s here to do. Brutal!

9. wmqcolby says:

WAY cool, C.E.! This was awesome! I love a good mystery, suspense, yes, but the character voice and dialogue really shone. Excellent!

Having read your fabulous Medville Matters, I had a sense of Déjà vu! Just as good here as it is there…😉

Sounds like this guy truly deserved it. Well written.

12. paulmclem says:

I wonder where Al had gone RIP

13. Lynn Love says:

Love this. I like how the bare bones construction seems to add to the story, heightening the noirish quality. Great last line too. Very nicely done🙂

14. liz young says:

You wrote the back story to this prompt brilliantly.

15. Oh I do remember the time when Al upped the body count every week… was it you who put the end with this tale? Love it that I was on vacation when this picture was featured the first time… all stories are new to me.

Amazing. My first thoughts were Dragnet too! Beautifully (and menacingly) articulated. But then you do that so well.

This piece is so Dragnet. I can hear Jack Webb (or Dan Aykroyd) narrating it. Love the ending line. So matter of fact. Well done.

18. michael1148humphris says:

A good job done. And well written too.

A gritty noire offering. I wish I’d seen something so dark in the promot