Fruit – Friday Fictioneers

This week’s prompt by Sean Fallon is rather odd, I confess, and left me even more confused than usual.
Fortunately I have been at the confluence of the Rhone and Saône rivers all day, so have had plenty of time to come up with nothing.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

When I was young, sweetheart, we bought fruit at the market.
We ate it fresh, or we would preserve it.
That meant we had all the vitamins we needed throughout the winter too.
That was before the government was owned by Big Pharmacy, of course.
Now we have a balanced diet every day, don’t we?
We have a breakfast pill for Vitamin C, a lunch pill, full of nutrients, and a dinner pill for extra protein.
It is boring, certainly, and very expensive, but we are all healthy, aren’t we?
Yes, angel, what is it?
What is fruit, grandma?

51 Responses to Fruit – Friday Fictioneers

1. Scary future, C.E., but it makes a good story. Well done. — Suzanne

2. And now you’re writing horror stories too! Oh my.😉 Very clever take, CE and, in fact, terrifying!

3. Margaret says:

I can’t imagine not being able to access real food. Your gripping story paints a picture of a horrifying possible future.

4. gahlearner says:

This breaks my heart a tiny bit. We must not let that happen.

5. I can certainly see this happening at some point in the future. I really hope I am not around to see it! Great story🙂

6. maria says:

This reminds me of Katie Kacvinsky’s Awaken. It’s terrifying to think that day may come.:\

7. plaridel says:

i don’t want to see that day comes. but i’m afraid it’s getting close.

8. nonnaci says:

I pity the astronauts who already have to eat like this ;(

9. wmqcolby says:

So many pills … I tend to rattle when I walk. Your usual quality shines through, C.E. And, Russell’s correct — the blue one before bedtime.

The way things are going, I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised. Good one CE. I expect you’ve been admiring the orange and green lacy buildings at the Confluence today, then?

11. Indira says:

It seems true. Govts are owned by big pharmacies and arm dealers, everywhere. Beautifully written story though scary.

12. rgayer55 says:

Don’t forget to take that blue pill an hour before bedtime, Grandpa.
    One link they’ve found in many of the mass shooting we’ve experienced in the US, is that many of the killers (mostly young men) were put on mind-altering drugs at an early age to control their boyish behavior and help them improve in school. No one considered the long-term effects.

13. Nicely done story that borders on prophecy. The tone is brilliant — hard to put a word to it. Irony? Dry? Sad? Humorous? All of the above?

I laughed at this and then I cried. I hope this isn’t prophetic. Well done with an ending that smacks on squarely between the eyes.

15. Adam Ickes says:

Sad to think that this could be a totally plausible future, though I certainly hope it isn’t.

16. Michael says:

Long may we have fruit, down with ‘big’ pharmacy. Your story reminded me of what I thought when I first saw breakfast ‘bars’ on my local supermarket shelf.

Just lost my appetite!
    What makes the story so jarring and scary, for me, is the calm and gentle tone of the conversation with the child, a “teaching opportunity” that sounds a bit like rehashed propaganda mixed with resignation. It could be the future… and that is just awful.

18. What a scary picture you paint… thankfully I still have fruit and no pills to eat…

19. d3athlily says:

Geez isn’t this a frightening prospect? Nicely done!

20. Somehow I fear Big Pharmacy looms on the horizon

21. Kris Anderson says:

One of your best!

Mail’t frae mah ayePad

22. Carolyn Page says:

I hear a distant bell – hopefully it is not tolling for us!

What a scary picture you paint!
    I love the tone of this… can picture a child sitting at the table with a grand-parent, listening to stories of the “good ole days”…

24. Yikes. I hope this scenario never materializes (almost wrote metabolizes LOL). Good story!

25. niasunset says: