Aix-en-Provence – Sunday Photo Fiction

Leaves remind me of trees, and trees make me think of Aix, maybe my favourite town in the world.

Aix is an ancient and wonderful town.
It is less than two hours from Medville, in the heart of Cezanne country.
The Cours Mirabeau is probably my favourite street in the world.
The road is wide, with water cascading from great moss-covered rocks as though in a novel by Steinbeck, and with the magnificent La Rotonde fountain at its western end.
The sidewalks too are broad, and lined with glorious plane trees losing their autumn leaves.
The buildings, many constructed as 17th century town houses, are now hotels, restaurants and grand cafes.
I venture upstairs in one such to answer nature’s call.
The ceilings are twenty feet high, the walls adorned with 200 year old oil portraits.
I become distracted, quickly lose my bearings.
Seeing a somewhat ramshackle door behind piled chairs and tables, I slip through.
Two rough-looking individuals in Phrygian caps seize me, drag me to a window and toss me onto a waiting tumbrel.
The cheers from the toothless crones, les Tricoteuses, are terrifyingly enthusiastic as I am hustled towards the guillotine.

37 Responses to Aix-en-Provence – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. Very nice story C.E. Another one of your wonderful surprise endings.

A wrinkle in time and off we go…
    at time warp speed, anything can happen. wonderful turn and twist in the writing that somehow overcomes disbelief in short lines and few words. I know, that’s what you do!
    When in Aix, I’ll go to the Cezanne from now on😉
    I’ll skip the restroom up the stairs.
    You never know…

3. Dave says:

Knew I shoulda made that left turn at Albuquerque.

4. paulmclem says:

Vive La Revolution.

Leave it to you to send a poor shnook looking for a restroom, though time to the guillotine. I love the subtle switch. Well done, sir. Are you familiar with O. Henry?

6. k rawson says:

I really wanted to be there, until the guy lost his head! Nicely done.

7. NAFEEZA says:

Wow!! Poor lad!😀

Wonderful story. Scary, for the guy about to lose his head.

Fabulous writing, as per usual!

10. Joy Pixley says:

You lured me in so nicely with your picturesque, relaxing descriptions, only to twist it hard at the end – surprise! Boy, if you’re going to suddenly find yourself stepping through a time portal, that is definitely *not* the part of history where you want to arrive.

Excellent. Just as you are used to one style you bring in developments and suddenly it’s not what I anticipated. I love that! Well done.

12. This would be what you call a wrong turn! Great piece of work, really captures the imagination🙂

13. Jesse Raven says:

I love a story that turns on a dime – nicely done!

14. Whoops. Definite wrong turn there. Sounded like a beautiful area.

15. Steve Lakey says:

I love the switch here. Excellent.