Laundrette – Friday Fictioneers

I have no idea what this week’s enigmatic picture prompt is.
But, thank you, Claire, it does make me think.
And I know what I see.
The idea is to write a story of around 100 words based on this picture, below.

© Claire Fuller

© Claire Fuller

The laundrette sits opposite the little café in the square.
I am clueless with these machines.
The instructions, of course, are in French, which today I have trouble reading.
The two elderly ladies are so helpful, so keen to impress the bumbling, charming foreigner.
They explain where to put the washing powder.
I have none?
They provide it.
Fabric softener?
They provide it.
They explain the dials, competing for my attention and approval.
It is all too easy.
Tomorrow I will move on, significantly richer.
And the two ladies?
They will have empty bank accounts, and some very painful memories.

This entry was posted in Sound Bite Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Laundrette – Friday Fictioneers

1. Susan Langer says:

Very funny story. Sometimes “playing dumb” does pay off. LOL🙂

2. Indira says:

Story with a message ‘ don’t fall for anyone’s charm at first site.’ He is mean doing that to helping ladies.

3. Margaret says:

Very funny – a most entertaining spin on the prompt.

4. Belinda Crane says:

I’m thanking my WordPress stars that it wasn’t a photo of a back door. You are a naughty one!🙂

5. gahlearner says:

Oh he is mean! Charming, but mean. I’d probably have fallen for that charm, too. Great story, poor ladies.

6. Didn’t take him long. He ought to meet Max Bialystock from “The Producers.” Fun story, had me fooled.

7. colonialist says:

I was betting you would feature a morgue, but my guess was a washout.

8. Not very nice is he?

9. Those little old ladies are Thelma and Louise so you better watch out. They are coming for you. lol

10. Amy Reese says:

Another twist at the end! You’re good, CE. And those poor ladies were just trying to do a good deed.

11. No clean puns left. I just like it.

12. Those poor ladies, will somebody come to their rescue? Nicely put together, with his true nature revealed in the end.

13. Melanie says:

Excellent and demented. Very well crafted. You set a good example.

14. You’ve spun a sordid tale here. Could it have been a reverse cycle wash?

15. micklively says:

Behold the largesse of economic failure.

16. Dave says:

He really needs to come clean.

17. This bring a whole new dimension to Money Laundering… it’s actually just theft.

Oh the wretched man! One must look out for those charmers…
    I am not going there with the puns! There have been more than enough, methinks!

19. paulmclem says:

Add’s a whole new meaning to a “Blue rinse”.

Liked by 2 people

20. I love how you draw the reader in, so we’re almost falling for his soft soap (geddit?) too, and then you wham us with his horribleness like he whammed the two ladies. Nice writing. (And the picture is a library filing system, but it can be whatever you make of it)

21. arjaybe says:

I like the story, but I think the picture is of one of those filing systems where the shelves can be moved back and forth to make room.

22. I was thinking, how refreshingly innocent. Damn you for spoiling my day.

Naughty but nice!

24. dmmacilroy says:

Dear C.E.,

Your story is a funny, but sad reminder that there exists in this world men such as your protagonist. Would that it could be washed clean. Well done.

25. Dear C.E.

What a dirty little cad he is. Someone needs to send him to the cleaners. You drew me in with so much charm and then went for the kill. Very well done indeed.

26. Reblogged this on anelephantcant and commented:
    AnElephantCant go to the Laundrette
    He does not visit such places as those
    It’s not what you think
    It is just that he’s pink
    And AnElephant does not wear any clothes

27. mjlstories says:

Did he get clean away?
    Made me laugh – not sure I’m proud of that. Great little tale of naughtiness.

I feel almost as though I know this man. Not personally of course… Nice one CE.

29. Scoundrel!