Magic – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s photo is by Ted Strutz, and the little tale it inspired back in 2013 provoked some interesting, if bemused, comments.
So here it is again.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

©Ted Strutz for Friday Fictioneers

©Ted Strutz for Friday Fictioneers

Click here to hear me read the story, and pronounce the magic word!

And this ring is more powerful than any of these potions or lotions or …..?

Yes, it is the most potent piece of magic in the shop.

And how does it work exactly?

You just need her to put it on – look, it is very attractive, don’t you agree? – and say the magic word, then she will love you forever. It is totally irreversible.

And what is the magic word?

Let me write that down for you. Don’t want to do anything silly with this on!

How do you pronounce that?

Oh dear!

Am I prettier than she is?

28 Responses to Magic – Friday Fictioneers

1. I love the magic word. It sounds like something the genie in the movie about Alladin might think up. Care has to be taken as magic has a history of backfiring. Good writing, C.E. 😀 — Suzanne

2. Margaret says:

What a delightful word. And an equally delightful story. Very re-readable. Love the understated ‘Oh dear.’

3. Nicely paced, funny and clever.🙂 Oh dear, indeed!

4. And it rolls so smoothly off your tongue.
    Oh dear…lol

5. MrBinks says:

Very good🙂

6. This made me smile. 🙂

7. There you go, making me grin!

8. gahlearner says:

It’s seldom that I leave your blog with a giggle, more often with an eek, or ouch, or ugh. And that’s what you get when you try to force love on people. Great fun this week, your reading included.

9. What a little gem! Thanks for the smile

Annie RIP – my short story

10. maria says:

Auchenshuggle! Oh dear!

11. And an unfettered giggle emerged.
    Thanks for that,

Haha. Funny take, I like your sense of humer in this one. Also appreciate Neil’s info above in understanding the word. I have only read Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Great write CE🙂

13. paulmclem says:

Good old Aucheshuggle, or Auchentoogle as it was called in Oor Wullie. Best place name for many a mile.

Thanks for making me laugh. I needed that today🙂

15. Thanks for the new word and funny story.
    The ‘oh dear’ was just … brilliant.

16. wmqcolby says:

A bigger work could be titled, Harry Pothead and the Magic Wring. Has possibilities. Let’s face it, Hermione looks HOT now.

Five out of five Auchenshuggles.

17. Love this, so funny and imaginative! And what a word…Auchenshuggle. Sounds like a magical place, indeed.

18. Fantastic Ceayr! Amazing take on the prompt and made me laugh. Plus, I have to be honest…you have a stunning voice!!! Heidi🙂

19. Lynn Love says:

Haha! What a great story – lightly comic, harking back to myths and legends and LotR but with a chuckle inducing twist. Love it, C🙂

20. michael1148humphris says:

Smiling all the way to the 🙂🙂

🙂 🙂 The ‘oh dear’ was so expressive, the ‘how do you pronounce that?’ so artless. Well done.

Liked by 2 people

Guffaws and giggles

Becareful what you wish for !
    Ppffuitt! I’d say that auchenshuggle is nothing to sneeze at. And you pronounced it with panache too!

Oh. Yes I really liked what you did there.
    Excuse me, my grin is splitting.

This piece is magic. Auchenhuggle will be running through my mind today. I can’t help thinking of Love Potion Number 9. Fun story to find at Numpty O’Clock on a Wednesday morning.

Auchenshuggle. How wonderful! The appropriation and reanimaition of prosaic place names as practiced in The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd. Lovely!