Friends – Six Sentence Story

charming little fountain by c e ayr

This challenge is produced by GirlieOnTheEdge with the following simple rules:
Write 6 Sentences. No more. No less.
Use the current week’s prompt word – ERUPTION

Click here to hear the author read his words:

Friends

Ian is an aggressive sort of guy, and excitable, always seems to me that at any moment he might just erupt.

I, on the other hand, am kinda easy-going, laid back, what you might call a wee bit Zen, not much irritates me, although I do cheat at word prompts, even from the lovely Denise.

So we’re in this outdoor restaurant, well, outside the indoor part, if you know what I mean, at the end of a sweltering day on the Mediterranean coast, when, in a matter of minutes, the sky clouds over, the rain starts bouncing off our plates, and I think my dorade is contemplating a bid for freedom.

As the staff tear around in an amusing frenzy of parasol (or in this case parapluie) opening and customer relocation, mouthing breathless apologies as they hurtle past, Ian decides to be miffed and, catching one unfortunate by the throat, immerses him head-first in the charming little fountain.

His demands for an immediate resolution to the unforeseen downpour and resultant chaos go sadly, but unsurprisingly, unanswered, perhaps due to the fact that not only does Ian speak the flavour of ‘English’ made famous by the characters in Irvine Welsh’s seminal work Trainspotting, but also that he is still holding his intended audience by the throat with his head below water, a combination of circumstances quite unconducive, in my opinion, to meaningful discussion.

When I smilingly endeavour to point this out to my friend, he responds somewhat more brusquely than I consider polite, so I serenely pull my trusty Glock 17 from my pocket and calmly shoot him in the face.

27 Responses to Friends – Six Sentence Story

1. Liz H says:

I think I woulda done the same as you, tho’.
    Just sayin’.
    Tope notch Six delivered with deadly aim again!

2. Startling, but i guess from the point of view of the drowning man, necessary.

3. UP says:

I love a good surprise ending

4. Tom says:

Yikes! CE, that ending was as unexpected as the middle bit after the more gentle start… although you did mention the word ‘aggressive’ in the first sentence, it didn’t register! 😀

5. Glockingly fishy story (and a good laugh into the bargain).

6. clark says:

Like the others* I enjoyed this week’s Six. For the imagery and the sharp-angle close of an ending.

That said, being a fan of synchronicity, I ‘specially enjoyed that bit about the dorade. My friend, Miky Pedia, informed me that you were most likely was referring to a fish dish. (Made a certain sense in context, the rain and all).

But that’s not the cool part! The cool part was an associated citation for ‘dorade box’.

For all the time I spent on trawlers, I never came across that term. And…and! in my Café Six today, the best I could do for the type of ventilation structure was ‘J’ shaped, metal thing…
    thanks! It was the external aspect of a dorade box all along.

*I’ve always been unmistakable from the norm in that way

7. Frank Hubeny says:

It sounds like the guy with the Glock is as aggressive as Ian.

8. Just another day I guess! You, sir, are the master of unexpected endings as your friend discovered to his chagrin.

9. ladysighs says:

I have now learned how to read your SSS. It is a 3 step approach.

1. Just read the story – wondering what it is about. But as it is the duty of one participating in the challenge to read each story, I first keep thoughts to myself.

2. Read the story again and pause and look up every word – dorade, parapluie, Trainspotting – in this case – hoping for more meaning.

3. Read the story once more and make a judgment as to whether it is a good story or the other kind. Then keep the decision to myself for fear of being misunderstood.

We know that last part is impossible!! So I post my conclusion of what a good story is. A good story is one wants to reread more than once. And since I read your stories at least 3 times, they must be extra good!

10. jenne49 says:

Well now, you take a perfectly ordinary occurrence (for the Mediterranean), turn it into a glorious word-fest and finish it off with a malicious twist.
    Masterful story-telling.
    If Ian weren’t dead, he might say, ‘Gaun yersel!’

11. Staarlz says:

Oh gosh! It was amusing till the violent finale…thank goodness it’s fiction! As always, you’ve crafted a wonderful 6SS write!! (I think I’m too visual–thus the amusing parts make me laugh out loud…and the bloody eviscerated face is cringe-scary [a made-up word].)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )