Happy – Friday Fictioneers

This week’s intriguing prompt photo comes courtesy of Jean L. Hays.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on this picture, below.

© Jean L. Hays

Click here to hear the writer read his words:

Happy

Life is good.
My wife is a wonderful lady, and the kids are growing up smart, strong, and healthy.
Our little business is a great success.
Not only is it thriving financially, but it is fun.
Lots of interesting folk stop by, days are never dull.
Even the weather is good here, warm summers, mild winters.
So why am I not happy?
Why do I feel that there should be more?
I don’t have any answers.
I just know that this time tomorrow I’ll be halfway to Canada.
Or maybe New York.
I’m not telling you where I’m going.

28 Responses to Happy – Friday Fictioneers

1. Hmmm… Will he be taking the wife & kids along too?

2. A true wanderer.
    I always enjoy the rhythm of your writing.

3. Margaret says:

He’s leaving in the good times. At least the wife has a thriving business to support the family. He’d better make sure he’s making the right decision here because I think someone is going to move right on in to take his place. A very enigmatic story.

4. Indira says:

Hi CE! Seems the type who are never content. Nice interesting style of writing.

5. Gouy Corine says:

Pour être heureux ! Ne faut-il d’abord être malheureux ?

6. Lynn Love says:

You know, some people just can’t settle and the feeling of being held down to one place is just unbearable for them – I’ve met a few of these folk, itchy feet, never stop moving. A tale with a lot of sadness packed in it. Great writing, C

7. Too bad he can’t accept what he has and needs to move on to get maybe what he hopes will fill him. Geographic cures rarely work, though. N’est pas?

Randy

8. lisarey1990 says:

There is an intriguing element to this story. Why is he sad? Great take.

9. Interesting. Why is he so sad? Guess you’ll have to write a book.

10. Jelli says:

All the good things, and still unhappy…. sigh… A good write.

11. pennygadd51 says:

Interesting story, CE. I expect there’s an underlying reason for your narrator’s departure. What is it he hasn’t done, I wonder?

12. 4963andypop says:

Like Rowena said, such a pleasant aet up, and then the bottom drops out. Love how you save the reveal, as to whom he is addressing, till the end.

Sometimes ‘good’ just isn’t enough, is it? I hope he doesn’t regret bailing out.

14. Running away, from what? So many unanswered questions, desperately seeking…

15. Abhijit Ray says:

You are going in search of peace, it seems. Wherever you find some.

16. Make sure wherever it is you have decent wifi and a laptop so you keep regaling us with your yarns!

17. Interesting story – and very believable as this could have been written by my husband! 🙂

Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

Choose the western part of Canada if you don’t want to freeze…

19. I am sure, he will miss home and come back here..
    Nice read

Memories

20. granonine says:

This man sounds to me like he’s struggling with depression. Not surprising that he would choose to run away. Sad, how often this happens.

21. Iain Kelly says:

My suspicious mind thinks those interesting people who stop by might suddenly disappear and that might be why he’s heading north… Or maybe he’s just a wanderer.

22. Anita says:

And his family won’t know that he is going? Looks like a secretive soul.
    Even if he does get where he wants to, he will perhaps not stay too long there.

23. Rowena says:

Hi CE,
    There seem to be these rumblings of people who seemingly have it all, but have an emptiness, a gnawing dissatisfaction. I recently read a fantastic novel along these lines: https://www.penguin.com.au/books/your-second-life-begins-when-you-realize-you-only-have-one-9780143788997
    I really loved this piece. He draws you in and you feel quite close to him, but then he shuts you out at the end. You’re not quite as close as you thought you were.
    Best wishes,
    Rowena

Sounds like Papa’s a rolling stone.

Shalom,

Rochelle

25. Violet Lentz says:

Well I certainly won’t be looking in Canada or New York…

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )