The Genie – Friday Fictioneers

This week’s photo is by Nick Allen, and I’m not sure I saw what is there.
Oh well.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on this picture, below.

© Nick Allen

Click here to hear the writer read his words:

The Genie

You get one wish, says the genie.
O-O-One, I stammer, not three?
This is Glasgow, 2018, he sneers, not the bliddy Arabian Nights.
Yeah, okay, I say, one wish…
It’s more than you had a minute ago before you rubbed that lamp, he snaps.
Yes, I sigh, but I have so many problems…
Just say what you want, plain and simple, I’m a genie, not an Agony Aunt.
Okay, I say, exasperated, it’s just… Look, take my wife, for example…
Right-o, he says, and disappears.
There is a noise from the kitchen, like plates falling.
Then everything is very quiet.

70 Responses to The Genie – Friday Fictioneers

1. jillyfunnell says:

I never considered that even genies have to deal with indecisive serial complainers. A truly original take.

2. James McEwan says:

That’ll teach him, or did he mean for some dark handsome magician to whisk his wife away.
    I love the moral here, don’t mess with a Genie, get to the point, no one is interested in your woes and tides etc.

3. This raised a smile 🙂 a nice twist on an old classic

4. As American comedian Henny Youngman would say, “Take my wife–please!”

5. Violet Lentz says:

Never one to think before he spoke I guess.. Very nice..

6. Ah, the “simple” things we say. Take this for example. Take that for example. Take my wife… This truly made me laugh. Only because I’m NOT the wife in the story mind you.

7. As we all know , context is everything. The genie should have allowed him to finish his thought. At least now I know what an agony aunt is.

8. lisarey1990 says:

Fantastic ending! Love it.

9. Jelli says:

Oh, the poor wife… that’s just evil. Loved it!

10. 4963andypop says:

I guess i missed some of the implications of being from Glasgow, other than maybe being a bit stingy. But i loved the sound of plates falling

Ridney Dangerfield would be pleased. (“Take my wife–please!”)

It’s the unguarded colloquialisms that can change your life for ever. I wonder how devastated he will be… 🙂

12. Hahaha. Pushy genie, what a hoot.

Liked by 2 people

13. Abhijit Ray says:

You had only one wish. You finished it by genie taking away your wife. Who will cook for you, now? Did you give it a thought?

14. Ha ha ha ha ha. POOF!

15. Bwahahaha! What a deliciously eerie ending. And the whole tale is so good that the laughter doesn’t hide away the truths layered into the telling. 2018 is madness, indeed…

16. michael1148humphris says:

O I laughed and laughed. You should be on the stage

17. Pat: willow88switches says:

Whoot! Brilliant! roflmao ….

18. Danny James says:

Careful for what you wish for I guess.

19. granonine says:

Good thing I wasn’t having a cup of hot tea–it would be spattered all over my computer screen 🙂

20. Iain Kelly says:

A Glasgow Genie! Most characters from fairytales would benefit from being more Glaswegian in attitude 😉

21. Sheena says:

And did all his problems get solved? 😉

22. An entertaining story from start to finish, I’m still smiling!

23. trentpmcd says:

Ooops, sometimes you have to watch your language… Good one.

24. …and took her the Genie did! Brilliant CE

I couldn’t help myself. I laughed out loud. Good one.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Modern genies don’t have “are you sure?” buttons?

27. Oh no! That is one impatient genie. Made me laugh though.

Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )