Justified – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s incomprehensible (to me) photo by Mary Shipman (thank you, Mary) took me down a strange road.
But a familiar one, some might think.
I ask for your continued patience for my lack of involvement, still typing one-fingered with my wrist at a slightly unnatural angle.
Tomorrow I go for an IRM, as an MRI is called here in France.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

© Mary Shipman

© Mary Shipman

Justified

I am not sure if murder is ever justified.
It is, after all, a pretty extreme response.
But this guy really bugs me.
I detest his supporters, his collaborators, his mindless admirers, almost as much.
But I can’t kill them all, can I?
Maybe I should try.
But I start with him.
He is so smug, so self-satisfied, so sure that he is smarter than the rest of us.
I think he is no more than a conman.
So I drag him from his bed.
And, while he is still conscious, I pickle him in formaldehyde.
I hate installation art.

38 Responses to Justified – Friday Fictioneers

1. Pickled, huh? What a way to go!
    Hope you are on the road to recovery. I know how maddening it is to be handicapped by and illness/injury.

2. ansumani says:

I wonder if he could have done the pickling with one finger …I guess not. It’s a talent only authors have 🙂 Get well soon.

3. rgayer55 says:

Had me worried there. For a minute, I was afraid you were talking about me.
    I suggest you hand him. Art should be hung.

4. Margaret says:

Your pickled artist could be added to the display. That would be a post-modern twist. Terrific story. Love the ending. Get well.

5. Some critics can be so harsh can’t they? I wonder if he has Damien Hirst in his sights next…

6. gahlearner says:

Gulp. You scare me more with one-finger-writing than most people can with ten.

7. Clearly that 1-finger gig doesn’t hold you back! Dark and humorous, all at once… and like Jan, my mind wandered to certain targets. 😉 Feel better writer friend.

8. Hope you start feeling better very soon 🙂 I have to say that this one finger typing doesn’t stop your inspiration flowing. Very good tale.

9. Jan Brown says:

I was hoping the story referred to Trump, but that would really be a frightening piece of installation art!!! Wishing you good luck with your wrist.

An interesting choice of a way to kill a man. You have a great imagination Caeyr. I hope you never become a murderer 🙂 Also, hope you’re healing well.

11. Adam Ickes says:

I probably shouldn’t on account of the murder and all, but I really like the narrator.

12. mickwynn2013 says:

Great story, I enjoyed it

13. Fun, and I share your narrator’s view of installations. Bring me an axe. You better?

Love the comparison to Installation Art… this could so very well be one, couldn’t it?

15. Good story, C.E. I also thought I saw a familiar politician in this one at the beginning. I looked up “installation art”. Powerful ending twist. I hope your wrist will improve with the treatment. Well done as always. —- Suzanne

16. liz young says:

Having a wrist problem hasn’t lamed your mind – excellent story. For most of the story I thought you were commenting on a person in US politics!

17. subroto says:

And that’s how some people find themselves in a pickle. Nice one and I do hope that you get better soon.

18. I thought you were getting rid of Trump for us at first. Well, I love a good pickle! Expertly done story as usual.

19. You created a great villain.

20. wmqcolby says:

Never heard of installation art, but I have seen the movie “Bucket of Blood” where a guy kills someone and covers him in clay and creates a statue out of him. Nice story, CE. 😉

21. I read this in a very grisly voice. Well done, I enjoyed it!

22. cohopenny says:

Awesome!

23. k rawson says:

That’s great. I couldn’t help but think of some public figures that should be pickled!

24. wildchild47 says:

I hope your ongoing tests and results offer solid possibilities in terms of managing and dealing with the ongoing pain and limitations.

I love the direction you took with this! Great imagination left to run free and the voice of the narrator is chilling. Pickled people, what a means to an end!

25. Echoes what many people would like to do many others, especially given the state the society is in!

26. Mike says:

Formaldehyde used to be used as a sedative, I once saw it accidentally given to the wrong person, in a rugby scrum. Thanks for the memory, I will now have to try and write it up. Until then I will dream of installation art.

27. The Voice says:

I’ve heard that pickled conmen make a great side dish for a good Reuben sandwich. Nicely done, CE. 🙂

28. IfeomaO says:

This was awesome and if it wasn’t intentional- you did a hell of a job capturing real emotions some bear towards some recent political candidates and even current position holders. Hope you recover completely soon.

If you’d had a female victim, you could have called her Tracey. I think I’d have appreciated the mental imagery just a tad more. As it was, I was chilled to the bone. Good one again CE. Is your problem a bone problem or a nerve? – I do hope you get some relief from it soon, it must be very depressing.

Liked by 2 people

30. I suspect many of us have felt this way at one time or another. Love the method! Pickling… really!! 😉

Liked by 2 people

Haha, I echo the sentiments. Hope you are feeling better soon my friend. So does Graham btw.

32. lillian says:

Ah….there’s a few on the political scene I’d like to pickle in formaldehyde! 🙂 Well done….and give it time….healing takes time.

33. oldentimes says:

Well done, CE. I hope the annoyance is gone and your recovery is going smoothly.
    The photo is a restored (tourist trap) general store in Calico CA. They sold everything there.

34. Installation art or installation hate that’s the question… hope your hands get better soon.

35. A round of darkness on a light tone. Such a surreal piece. Brilliant story, Sir C.E. Thank you.

Installation art? He must really be annoying. Well done. I hope you’re better soon and very soon. ❤

Shalom,

Rochelle

Darkly funny. Great work!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )