Sarah – Sunday Photo Fiction

This week’s photo shows the port of Dover, his home town.
My story is set in Medville, which is mine.

When I see her near the port, I guess where she has been.
Where she shouldn’t have, of course.
She is almost fifteen years old, at the age of curiosity, dissent, experimentation and rebellion.
We exchange cheek kisses in the normal way.
I say nothing, but she notes my expression, shrugs, embarrassed.
After my walk I am inside the little café in the square, talking to my friend Rafa, the proprietor.
He is her father.
She emerges from the family quarters, half waves, heads for the door.
Hey, says Rafa, don’t you say hello to our friend?
Already did, she retorts, unthinking, then reddens.
He is on her in a flash.
When, he asks, where have you been?
Her eyes are wide, afraid.
I interrupt.
I was outside on the phone earlier, I say.
He turns to me, uncertain.
I grin at him, return her wave.
Her smile is radiant.
I will debate this later, with my conscience.

18 Responses to Sarah – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. rogershipp says:

A hero with a worried conscious… the best kind of heros!

2. Teenage daughters – thank goodness mine have flown the nest!

The Ferry

3. any1mark66 says:

Giving a pass to the teenager, it should happen more in life. Some of us were allowed to be young and I think we have lost a little of that now

4. A lighthearted story for a winter mood. The verses heightened the experience. Thank you.

Nice of him to cover for the 15 -year-old girl. Of course her father is worried, as some parents do when there kids are teenagers. Hopefully, she isn’t finding to much trouble. Nice write!

6. It is good that someone covered for her. I mean, being allowed to explore places you are not allowed is natural for a 15-year-old girl.

7. athling2001 says:

Well-crafted story. Good for the narrator for standing up to her father, whom I sensed was not a totally nice person.

I love this story. An instant of complicity at the intersection of parental fears and control and the harmless, natural desire for a little more freedom to learn to fly… Sometimes the outsider sees clearly that rules are made to be broken.
    Beautifully done. I could talk about it for hours around the water cooler😉

9. misskzebra says:

Man, I my parents had friends like your narrator when I was 15. My mum seemed to have spies everywhere. One even took photos of me and my forbidden boyfriend.

10. One hell of a protector there. She has someone covering for her from her father. I remember my daughter at the age of fifteen – well,. it was only 2½ years ago – and the things she got up to.

Good story Ceayr.

11. Dear C.E.

He certainly covered for her, didn’t he? Could it be that a little more than snogging happened between them? I enjoyed this well constructed, upbeat story.

• ceayr says:

Whoa, no!
      Certainly not, m’lady, I think you are trying to wind me up.
      She is a child and the narrator is a family friend.
      Cheek kisses are the accepted greeting here, there is no suggestion of any lip contact whatsoever.
      But other than that I enjoyed your comment!