The Bridge – Friday Fictioneers

Today’s photo is by Adam Ickes, and my alter ego did a somewhat Shakespearean take on it back in 2014.
So here it is again, all the way from a sun-kissed Bonnie Scotland where I am seeking a solution to my continuing dextral problem.
The idea, as always, is to write a story of around 100 words based on the picture, below.

© Adam Ickes

© Adam Ickes

Click here to hear me read this 100-word tale:

The Bridge
His heart leaps as he approaches the bridge.
He sees her on the other side of the great gorge, heading in the same direction.
They have been meeting here secretly for months now.
Their love is forbidden by their different backgrounds, different cultures, warring families.
But they will not falter.
Then he sees the figures on the bridge.
Her father, her brothers, carrying knives.
She waves him back frantically.
He walks onto the bridge, ready to make peace.
Her eldest brother steps forward and strikes.
As he falls, mortally wounded, he sees her climb the barrier and hurl herself off.

54 Responses to The Bridge – Friday Fictioneers

1. Those poor kids; and wasted lives. Your story left me melancholy.

2. subroto says:

Nicely done. Retelling of an old classic, which exists in many other languages and cultures, just the names of the participants get changed.

3. A tale of our times, sadly. I drove up to Scotland a couple of weeks ago. Nice.

Visit Keith’s Ramblings

Tragic story. Another ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ Shakespeare would be proud🙂

5. Stupid girl.
    I hope Scotland holds an answer for you. Sending you healing.

6. Al says:

Very much as it used to be, and as it still is sometimes. Not even death could stop them from being together.

7. Stories of the past echo the realities of those times!
    Wonderfully written!

8. gahlearner says:

Bridges were meant to connect, yet they divide all too often. Sad, and timeless story.

9. draliman says:

Tragic, very Romeo and Juliette I thought. And this sort of thing continues in some parts of the world…

10. Nice and suitably tragic! But silly girl😦 didn’t she know the next one is always better🙂

11. Joy Pixley says:

Definitely has a very Shakespearean ending! Although from your intro I was expecting iambic pentameter… Well, maybe next time. 🙂

12. Some people just don’t want peace. Tragic but good writing, C.E. —- Suzanne

Not many could look at that photo and see Romeo and Juliet. Superbly done. I hope you can find the solution to your problem. There’s nothing better than being ill in your own language, I’ve found. Best of luck.

14. Oh! That was tragic – but probably the only way?

15. Lynn Love says:

Many of us have seen bridges as venues for violent or desperate acts – I wonder why that is? This is a powerful tale, sparse prose adding to the power of the story. A Romeo and Juliet tale – and there is never a happy ending with one of those. Great story🙂

• ceayr says:

Thank you, Lynn.
      Perhaps it is the crossing point that brings events to a head?

• Lynn Love says:

Yes, you’re right, it can be. I know of several bloody battles that have been fought on or over bridges – always important to secure / destroy crossing places. Also there’s something symbolic about them, isn’t there, that passing from one world to the next, just as people have laid importance on doorways and even fenland, the halfway point between land and water. I’m rabbiting on. Great, stirring story C🙂

I love your elements of surprise. A bit sad this week. I didn’t know you were in Scotland. Hope you are having a great time.

17. michael1148humphris says:

Strange this story took me to a bridge in Sarajevo. Poignant writing.

18. Tales From The Trunk says:

What a beautiful photo, and a strong story to go with it. Once again you’ve managed to plop the image of these people’s lives right into my minds eye. I am so happy that I found your work, it is very inspiring!🙂

19. iainthekid says:

Would love to know what he had done to deserve such treatment, or is it warring families, religious divide? Good stuff, Iain

True love does not always win out as Shakespeare and you show…well done!
    I do hope you find some relief for your Situation!

Seems suitably sinistral to me

How very Romeo and Juliette. Very sad. On the other hand, what a set of in-laws that would be. They might be better off. Well done and well read.

I hope you’re finding some relief and enjoying Bonnie Scotland.