The Lodge – Sunday Photo Fiction

This week’s forbidding photo is open to many interpretations.
This is my slightly off the wall take.

The Lodge

I am in!
At last my boyhood ambition is fulfilled.
I have been accepted as a member of the Lodge.
My father was a member, and his father, and his father.
It is a mark of privilege and honour in this isolated region.
Usually only the first born son is admitted, but my older brother died before he was of age.
Even so, I have had to perform many arduous tasks, pass many stern tests, and wait many long years.
I have also had to ignore the whispers around town.
Detrimental comments are made, almost out of earshot.
I don’t care.
I feel it is my duty to maintain a proud family tradition, and to be part of this organisation which contributes so much to local charities.
I take the oath on my knees before the assembly of members.
I swear never, on pain of death and disgrace, for myself and my family, to divulge any of the secrets.
The Grand Master himself shakes my hand.
I am led to the banquet hall to celebrate.
Through closed doors I hear the weeping of children.

23 Responses to The Lodge – Sunday Photo Fiction

How a misplaced sense of duty keeps these evils running… Great piece!

2. Pingback: Writing 101: Day 19 – A Bevy of Bloggers. | mandibelle16

3. Another dark twist. Very Poe-ian.

4. Many years ago I was invited in (truly) But the apron didn’t suit me so I declined!

Visit Keith’s Ramblings!

The crying of children sounds very ominous, what are they doing to them?

6. MythRider says:

I hit like, but “Through closed doors I hear the weeping of children,” I’m not so sure. Sound s bit gruesome.

• ceayr says:

Then, my good sir, if you are not comfortable, please feel free to ‘unlike’.
      I do not believe in writing only about the sunshine in our world, but about the vile darkness also.
      Thank you for visiting.

7. Reblogged this on anelephantcant and commented:
    AnElephantCant be as brave as a tiger
    Or a lion or fierce things like that
    Unless he makes a bloomer
    This is perhaps a puma
    AnElephant prefers the wee cat who sat on the mat

This sent such a chill through me. You said much in few words and have managed wot layer an entire novel between the lines. Captivating doesn’t begin to describe.

9. Corina says:

You never fail to captivate, twist, and surprise. Well done.

10. That was a completely unexpected twist

11. Steve Lakey says:

Chilling. It’s reassuring to know that our current leaders would never be involved in dubious initiation rites. For this is fiction, after all.