City Bridge – Sunday Photo Fiction

It made me think of another great bridge, in another great city, where they currently have problems with forest fires in the surrounding areas (see photo following story).
Below is an example of what I call Sound Bite Fiction.

City Bridge

The bridge is long and high.
The traffic hurtles in and out of the city centre, everyone in a hurry.
The rail has stopped, the city is dull.
I pause halfway across, intrigued by the low cloud and fog belt.
But I am aware of the two youths, twenty metres away, and their aggressive stance.
I am not yet concerned, but wary.
Then a slim Asian lad strides past me, texting as he goes, oblivious to his surroundings.
I sense disaster.
The two laugh as they accost him.
He is startled, confused, but they grab him.
With embarrassing ease they sit him on the parapet.
And casually push him over.
My blood freezes as I hear his scream disappear into the gloom.
I realise that I am running towards them, stop abruptly.
Do you have a problem, the larger one grins.
With what, I ask, and walk away.

Vancouver BC

Vancouver BC

29 Responses to City Bridge – Sunday Photo Fiction

1. Martin Flux says:

I clicked through to this story from the latest SPF after randomly noticing “Granville Bridge” in the Tag Cloud. The funny thing is, I recently moved to Vancouver from London, and when I first saw that bridge I, too, thought “Hey, that looks like Tower Bridge.” (although it’s Burrard Bridge; Granville Bridge is the one next to it).

And as always, I enjoyed your story very much. Unfortunately, it’s so true—you’ll get more help by shouting “fire” than shouting for “help”.

• ceayr says:

Hi Martin, I had not previously realised that anyone looked at the Tag Cloud, I know I never do!
      I am of course very aware that the pic shows Burrard Bridge.
      I took it from Granville Bridge, my usual crossing, when I spent a month in Vancouver last year.
      Glad you enjoyed the story.
      There is a whole book full of them available at the click of a mouse!

• Martin Flux says:

I don’t think I do very often either. It was only that I had just returned from Granville Island an hour previously so the word caught my eye.

And I know there’s a whole book, although when it comes to books, I prefer slightly longer stories (the sample of The Second Request is loaded up into my kindle right after The Bone Clocks—which, with Christmas and relocation, I have been reading for absolute ages now—and after JS Brand’s Pretty Little Thing who just got there first).

2. afairymind says:

What an unpleasant situation for him to find himself in. Unfortunately I think most people would react as he did. Well done.🙂

3. Francesca Smith says:

Quite unnerving. You have described how the average person would react to a situation such as this very well. The phrase “self-preservation” comes to mind.

4. rogershipp says:

Well done… It was too late to be a hero, anyway.

5. Tragic story and well told.

6. Niki says:

Another very absorbing story, and I agree with the other comments, it is so chilling and stark. Next time I go up to town I think I’ll cross the river by London Bridge!!

7. arjaybe says:

The Second Narrows. I’ve had interesting experiences on or about a number of the bridges in Vancouver. Some of them involved thuggery, though not so extreme. Well written.

We’re getting the wildfire smoke here, too. Much of western Canada is on fire this year. You know it’s bad when they send the army in.

8. Al says:

Excellent. Poor guy, and I can understand the trepidation of getting involved.

excellent. Very uncomfortably so.
    The unspoken is incredibly powerful is this story.
    Bravo. Sans égal à part l’Eléphant.

10. Karin says:

Chilling piece. Falling off buildings and other high points is a recurring nightmare for me.
    Any ice cream in the freezer while you’re there?

11. Steve Lakey says:

A well-told chilling story.

12. Reblogged this on anelephantcant and commented:
    AnElephantCant say he is comfortable on high places
    He does not like to be on top of this bridge
    Although he’s thick-skinned
    His ears flap in the wind
    So to take his mind off it he thinks he is going to get something nice from the fridge